Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Book Worms Unite

Ok, I hope you all aren't sick of book lists, but I thought mine was important because NO ONE has mentioned my favorite author. But first let me just say that Julochka, Bee, Polly, and Gidget have already done theirs and that's where I got the inspiration. Many of my favorite books are already listed in the four posts mentioned above, so I'm not planning on boring you with those. Plus you should also know that BOTH my aunt and uncle were librarians, so I always had a good resource if I needed a book to read.

Lets get on with it.

Childhood Faves (and by this I mean high school and younger)

  • Anything by Judy Blume

  • Anything by Stephen King

  • A Wrinkle in Time series -Madeline L'Engle

  • Watership Down - Richard Adams

  • Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austin

  • Paddington Bear books - Michael Bond

  • The Nine Days to Christmas - Mary Hall Ets and Aurora Labastida

  • I remember reading a lot of Erma Bombeck, but I don't think I got the full effect until after I had kids.

Authors I can always count on



  • Ann Patchett

  • Jodi Picoult

  • John Grisham

  • Robin Cook

  • Michael Crichton

Non-Fiction Favorites



  • How Not to Look Old - Charla Krupp (remember that I'm the narcisister)

  • What Not to Wear - Trinny Goodall and Susannnah Constantine

  • The Year of Living Biblically - AJ Jacobs (very funny read...)

  • Drug Facts and Comparisons - ok I haven't actually read all this book, but its the pharmacists bible

Miscellaneous Loves



  • The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath

  • Chocolat - JoAnn Harris

  • Love in the Time of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

  • Catch 22 - Joseph Heller

  • My Antonia - Willa Cather

  • The Handmaids Tale - Margaret Atwood

  • No Exit - Jean-Paul Sartre

  • Le Petit Prince - Antoine De Saint-Exupery

  • To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

Partially read books that I liked



  • The Iliad

  • The Odyssey

  • Don Quixote de la Mancha - Cervantes

And NOW for my VERY Favorite Book Series EVER


It's the Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon. I think in the UK it's called Cross Stitch.


Ok, I admit it. It's usually found in the Romance section. This totally turned me off at first. Romance? Me? Ummm, no. But a friend suggested reading it so I grudgingly did. Oh. My. God. I couldn't put it down. When I started reading the series there were only 3 books, now there are 6 with a 7th one set to be published in the fall. I have recommended this book to many, many friends (there was actually 1 friend that didn't like it, everyone else did). I even got my sister into the series (and this is a woman with a PhD in mucosal immunology). There are blogs and communities and people really all into these books. It is really well written. Gabaldon does a fabulous job making the characters and places come alive. It's the type of book in which you can totally lose yourself. I can not even count the times I've read the first book. It's my go-to book when I'm sad. Or happy. Or pensive. Or procrastinating. Or depressed. Or elated...you get my drift. The 3rd book is another I'll open over and over. Anyway, just give them a shot. I promise you won't be disappointed.


Here they are:



  • Outlander

  • Dragonfly in Amber

  • Voyager

  • Drums of Autumn

  • The Fiery Cross

  • A Breath of Snow and Ashes

  • An Echo in the Bone - due out this september (hooray!!)

Now. I have to go read. Seriously. Jamie is calling to me. You'll see...

PS- I hate Blogger formatting

PPS- I had a great photo, but now I can't find the stinking cord to get it to my laptop from my camera. I think this means I need a new nikon :)

22 comments:

Optimistic Pessimist said...

I completely forgot about A wrinkle in time...I LOVED those books! I think i might re-read them!

Fidgeting Gidget said...

I loved Judy Blume, too...especially all of the Fudge books.

And I've read Outlander and I LOVED it. I just haven't had time to read the rest of them! I have many friends who love them and say that their husbands love that they love them since Claire and Jamie are such sex fiends. One friend even named her dog Claire! :)

Hit 40 said...

Find Medora under my blog - either under top comments or in the comments of one of my posts. She is a librarian.

I am going to have her look at your list for fun.

rxBambi said...

OP: I actually tried reading them again a few years ago, maybe 10. I had a really hard time getting into it. Let me know if you do and I'll give it another shot. But yeah, I loved them too when I was about 10 or so.

Gidge: How could you not finish the series??? Although I admit that I really liked the earlier ones better than the later ones, but they are all so good. I just started re-reading them so I'll be ready in september when the new one comes out. I'm a freak, I know ;)

40: I'll go check out Medora now, thanks!

Mike said...

I am waiting for the movie version of this list! LOL!

Mike said...

Actually, I enjoy reading, my two all time favorite books: The Stand, and The Davinci code.

rxBambi said...

Otin: I loved The Stand! Great book, crappy movie. Same goes for Davinci Code.

McGillicutty said...

Hello there thanks for the visit and the comments about Peanut, I am taking her to the doc tomorrow as she still hasn't been able to keep anything down!!!! Love your list, if you can read Brit Lit you might want to check out Ian Rankin (a personal friend of an ex brother in law) (I know) but he's the biggest thing the other side of the Pond. Watership Down.... bright eyes!!! ahhh.
Good talkin' at ya. Ali

Sharon Rose said...

I love Jodi Picoult and John Grisham as well! Thanks for that nice list. . . I read sooo much! This is great!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

We have just added your latest post "A Day in the Life of a Would-Be Bambi: Book Worms Unite" to our Directory

of Foreclosure
. You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to

submit all your future posts to the

directory
and get a huge base of visitors to your website.


Warm Regards

Foreclosu-re.info Team

http://www.foreclosu-re.info

Polly said...

Ah! I can't believe I didn't include Little Prince in my list! It's my favourie book ever!

Great list

Liz Fulcher, The Fragrant Muse said...

Yes to Chocolat!! I loved King when I was in my 20s and 30s but not so much now. Either he has changed or I have. I think you would like Elizabeth George.

I think you're the first to post a nonfiction list and I have tons of nonfictions that I like.

Great Lists!

Unknown said...

I'm going to have to do this too! I loved The Little Prince, and reread it recently when I was teaching literacy class to kids in Ecuador and loved it even more!

Medora said...

I'm with you with Austen, Picoult (although I don't like all of her work, but I really really loved The Tenth Circle and Plain Truth - love anything Amish), Plath, Marquez, and Gabaldon. People get really psychotic over Gabaldon - it's cultish, like Tolkien (who I adore).

rxBambi said...

McG: I will check out Rankin. The name sounds kinda familiar, but I don't know anything by him. Any book you'd recommend over another?

PS: Thanks! I grew up in Memphis so I can relate to the whole southern lawyer thing Grisham has going on, and a lot of the earlier books were set in Memphis. Haven't read many of his later ones. Found Picoult by accident and now have read most of her stuff

lidiya: Thanks! I'll go check out the site now!

Polly: I know, I loved the little prince. Mine is in french from when I was in school. Not sure I could get thru the whole thing now, luckily I have translations in the margins ;)

FM: Havne't read anything by George...anything in particular youd recommend? I went thru a King stage in jr high/high school then didn't read anything of his for a long time. However I recently read one of his newer ones, Duma Key (or "what the hell is a 'do monkey'") and loved it. Give it a shot if you were a previous king fan. I have a hard time sticking to non-fiction books. Does that make me shallow?

B: It is a great book in any language! It's awesome that you were teaching a literacy class!

Med:Thanks for coming by! I know what you mean about the gabaldon cult, but I just love Jamie and Claire! Believe it or not, I couldn't get into the Tolkien books, but it's been about 20 yrs since I tried so maybe I'll give it another shot.

rxBambi said...

Ummm, ok. why am I in a foreclosure list?? Is this spam?? I didn't know we got spam comments! How stinking rude!

Seaside Girl said...

I still have my paddington bear books! I am going to look into the outlander series since it comes so highly recommended!

rxBambi said...

I have my padding bear books too. they are in my bookshelf in the den!
Keep me posted on Outlander!

Optimistic Pessimist said...

I'm a little worried about the books not being the same as when I originally read them. Thanks for the warning.

julochka said...

yes to the nikon and you'll probably need a mac to go with it. :-)

really interesting to see garcia-marquez and sartre in the same post as john grisham and jodi picoult....hmmm

O said...

have you read any other joanne harris books? they are very good. I remember having watership down forced down my throat at school - I shall never be able to look at rabbits again!

I read the illiad - I love that stuff. Did you ever watch the cartoon series? It was called Ulysses and was set in space. It was great - I can't get enough of those Greek classics.

rxBambi said...

OP: No prob. Let me know if you read them again and enjoy it.

Jul: what can I say? I have ecclectic taste. OR I just want to BELONG everywhere so I read what ever someone tells me because I have no opinions of my own...

O: The only other Harris book I can think of that I've read is The Five Quarters of the Orange. Suggest any others? It sucks that you had WD shoved in your face, I actually really liked it, but I read it on my own. I never saw Ulysses but sounds kinda cool in a geeky anime way :)